2016 Summer Confirmation Catechesis – June 6th – June 17th ( Monday – Friday), 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. – in the Family Center
Parent/Confirmandi Meeting – 6 Sessions – September – April
Summer Confirmation 1 Preparation (Seventh Graders)
2016 Summer Confirmation 1 Preparation – June 6th – June 17th (Monday – Friday), 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. – in the Family Center
Summer Sixth Grade Religious Education
2016 Summer Sixth Grade Religious Education – June 6th – June 17th (Monday -Friday), 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. – in the Family Center
Contact: Mitzi Weaver
681-6350 x 248
Ministry Mission Statement: Our group of catechists, headed by the director, is responsible for the religious education of children in grades Pre-K4 through eighth who do not attend a Catholic school. More than 275 children are enrolled and there is always a need for more teachers and volunteers.
The Religious Education program of any parish is designed to support, not act as a substitute, for parental responsibility. The parish, through volunteer catechists, parish staff, and pastor, desires to work as a team with parents. Together we provide our children with a sound program to help them become disciples of Jesus Christ.
The process of preparation for Confirmation takes place over a two-year period, beginning in the seventh grade. Our preparation process includes religious education in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, scripture and tradition, Church history, stewardship, retreats, candidate interviews with the pastor, and individual assignments. A key element in preparation is helping a young person to determine the importance and relevance of the specific teaching to the Church and their life.
Stewardship activities, specifically sharing of time and talent, help the individual to explore and discover what areas of community involvement are significant to their spiritual life. They gain an awareness of the gifts and talents they possess and their ability to share them with others. Examples of their community activity:
- The 2006 – 2007 Confirmation Class took on the stewardship task of raising money for St. Thomas the Apostle Parish in Long Beach, Mississippi. This parish and school were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. This, however, did not destroy the heart and soul of the parish as they continued to hold masses in their church and to have classes in their school which is temporarily located in an ice skating rink;
- The Confirmation class decided to help raise money for this parishes’ Religious Education program so that the children of this parish would be able to continue their Christian formation. On Sunday, October 1st, this class took on the responsibility and ran with it raising $1720 for this cause. Way to Go! We are so proud of you all.
Current Ministry Activities: See above Schedule of Meetings.
Resource Requirements: Our Confirmation catechists are volunteers who give generously of themselves. They devote time to spread the message of our faith and to build up our faith community. Most are not teachers by profession; however, all possess a love of the Church and a desire to help our children grow in the love of Jesus. All catechists are required to:
- Be in good standing with the Catholic Church, living their faith in their daily lives.
- Attend regular catechetical meetings where continuing education takes place.
- Conform to all Diocesan requirements including background screening, attendance at a Protecting God’s Children Workshop to educate them on prevention of child sexual abuse and how to recognize and report all forms of child abuse.
Important Confirmation Information