The Catholic Church and Funeral Planning
The Catholic Church has, for centuries, offered comfort and solace to those grieving the loss of a loved one. Through its timeless and familiar rites, rituals, music, sacred readings, and the celebration of the Eucharist, it focuses those of us left behind on the promise of eternal salvation through the sacrifice of Christ Jesus; and also on our continued relationship with our loved ones through the mystery of Christ's death and resurrection.
As you plan this day, a day of sorrow and gladness, know that the Church stands with you as you present your loved one for their final blessings and rites. Their earthly journey in Christ began with their baptism now comes full circle in the sprinkling of their remains with Holy water, and their heavenly journey into the fullness of God's presence continues.
Below you will find the funeral Mass planning packet. In the packet, there are readings for you to choose from as well as hymns to select.
Once you have made your selections, you may click on the link below to complete the form and submit your selections, along with the names of those family members/friends that may want to participate in the Mass.
Items to note:
- Funeral Masses are held Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday at 10:00am.
- During the summer (until August 9, 2023) funeral Masses are held Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 10:00am. After August 9, 2023 (when school starts), we will not offer Wednesday funerals.
- There is a $200 fee for the cantor (payable to the cantor, TBD) and a $300 fee for the organist (made payable to Francis by the Sea). Payments are due the date of the funeral Mass.
- Depending on availability, the Family Center is offered for receptions.
- Our team will arrange the tables and provide tablecloths, but the caterer will need to provide plates, flatware, napkins, drinkware, etc.
- Doors must be locked at all times, due to Safe Environment Policies. Doors may not be propped open.
- Alcohol is NOT permitted to be served in the Family Center or anywhere on the campus.
- Military Honor Guards and bagpipers can be coordinated with the funeral home.
Parishioners are welcome to pre-plan. If parishioners wish to complete the above paperwork they may submit it online, or provide a copy to the Parish Office for the information to remain on file.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Merideth Johnson at [email protected], or by calling 843-681-6350, ext. 250.