Contact: Deacon Galo Barreto
Ministry Mission Statement: Our group of catechists, headed by a director, is responsible for the religious education of children in grades Pre-K4 through eighth who do not attend a Catholic school. More than 275 children are enrolled and there is always a need for more teachers and volunteers.
The Religious Education program of any parish is designed to support, not act as a substitute, for parental responsibility. The parish, through volunteer catechists, parish staff, and pastor, desires to work as a team with parents. Together we provide our children with a sound program to help them become disciples of Jesus Christ.
Mark Your Calendar for these Important Dates for 2019-2020
- Confirmation Stewardship Project - Sunday, November 3rd - Advent Candle and Fellowship Sunday - 7:30 a.m. until 1:15 p.m . (shifts will be handed out for each student)
- Confirmation Retreat - Saturday, November 23rd - 9:30 a.m. - Gym - The retreat will be followed by confession and Enrollment Mass at the 5:30 p.m,. Mass
- Religious Education Family Fun Day - Sunday, December 8th from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. in the Multipurpose Gym.
- Parent/Confirmandi Meeting - Sunday, January 12th from 4 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. - Family Center
- First Reconciliation - Wednesday, February 12th - 9 a.m. - SFCS First Communicants
- First Reconciliation - Wednesday, February 12th - 6:30 p.m. - Religious Education First Communicants
- Reconciliation - Wednesday, February 19th - Confession for Religious Education Students
- Parent/Confirmandi Meeting - Sunday, March 15th from 4 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. - Family Center
- First Communion Parent Meeting - Wednesday, March 25th from 6:15 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. - SFCS Media Center
- First Communion Practice - April 29th - 6 p.m. - Please meet in the Family Center for lineup
- First Communion - May 2nd - All First Communicants should be in the Family Center for line up by 9:30 a.m. First Communion will begin at 10 a.m.
- Summer Catechesis - June 8 through June 19 - 9 a.m. until noon - Monday - Friday
Our catechists are volunteers who give generously of themselves. They devote time to spread the message of our faith and to build up our faith community. Most are not teachers by profession; however, all possess a love of the Church and a desire to help our children grow in the love of Jesus. All catechists are required to:
Be in good standing with the Catholic Church, living their faith in their daily lives.
Attend regular catechetical meetings where continuing education takes place.
Conform to all Diocesan requirements including background screening, attendance at a Protecting God’s Children Workshop to educate them on prevention of child sexual abuse and how to recognize and report all forms of child abuse.
Current Membership Opportunities: We need teachers and volunteers. Please fill out the below form if you would like to be a volunteer in Religious Education.
Safe Environment Requirements: All Religious Education volunteers must complete the Safe Haven - It's Up To You Training . Please click on the link to Safe Environment to get more information on how to sign up for the Safe Haven - It's Up To You training and the Diocese of Charleston screening forms.
Religious Education Resources:
2019-2020 - Religious Education Calendar - Communion 2 - Fifth Grade
2019-2020 - Religious Education Calendar - Kindergarten - Communion 1
2019-2020 - Religious Education & Youth Group Registration
Religious Education Prayer Book
Be My Disciples Website
Teaching Touching Safety Lessons
2018-2019 - Internet Safety - K - 2
2018-2019 - Internet Safety - 3 - 5
2018-2019 Internet Safety - 6 - 8
Youth Group Calendars
2019-2020 - Youth Group Calendar - 6th Grade and Confirmation 1
2019-2020 - Youth Group Calendar - Confirmation 2
Important First Communion Information
First Communion Important Dates
First Communion Attire
First Communion Promise
First Communion Frequently Asked Questions (English & Spanish)
Important Confirmation Information
Due Date Checklist
Stewardship Hour Log
To Join or update your family in our Religious Education Program, please click on the link below: